Friday, June 29, 2012

Sacred Valley - Day 23 - Glasses Update


Today we stayed closed to home and visited Arco Iris, a school in Urubamba for children with disabilities. It's always been particularly fun and memorable to work with kids while here in Peru. Although some come to clinic quite sick, many are funny, engaging, and very loving, despite a significant language barrier. My Spanish is very beginner and my Quechua limited to a few words, but in the past fews days, I've received hugs and kisses from my little patients, or have been lead around the clinic by someone half my size. As we set up our clinical stations today, many of the students kept their distance, but one boy came over very eager to play catch with his soccer ball. A little later, a 3 year old girl was very curious about my suitcase full of supplies, and as soon as I emptied its contents, she climbed in and looked like she never intended on leaving. She was very interested with playing with my hair and took great care combing it with her hands.





Although most of our patients today were children, we were very busy on the adult med team. Many of our patients had the same complaints we've seen over the past few weeks - back pain, cough, and vision problems. I've spent a lot of time in the vision clinic over the past week testing vision and fitting glasses, so it was interesting seeing the cases from the medical perspective and hearing the patient's vision history. With help from the senior medical students and attending physicians, I've become more comfortable testing for strabismus, red reflex, and cataracts, and identifying pterigium. Today in the adult med clinic, I successfully identified early stage bilateral cataracts in an older man presenting with vision loss. The patient was a bit disappointed to learn that he had cataracts, but I was excited to inform him that another medical team arriving in a few weeks could perform cataract surgery that would improve his vision. Making these referrals has been particularly rewarding because there is a good chance that our clinical visit will drastically help improve a patient's physical well-being.

Working in the vision clinic can be particularly rewarding, because with the right pair of glasses, we can help someone see clearly, often for the first time in many years. My first day working in the vision clinic last week, four Quechua women came up to kiss me, thanking me for their glasses. Unfortunately, we are not always able to fit everyone with the right pair of glasses. Over the past few weeks, we have given out hundreds of glasses, but recently we've run out of the lowest power distance vision glasses. Many patients complain of blurry distance vision and are able to read the majority of the eye chart, but we have no glasses left to give them. It's particularly hard to send these patients away empty-handed, after they have waited patiently in line for several hours.

Sunglasses and eye drops (gottitas) are extremely popular everywhere we go. Pterygium is very common, and many patients complain of itchy, watery eyes. Due to the hard work and diligence of our glasses committee, we have many pairs of sunglasses to give out to help manage this problem. I try to make it very clear to each patient the importance of wearing sunglasses to protect their eyes from further damage. I like to give each patient a choice between a few pairs of sunglasses and often hear "mas chico, doctorita?" Many different types of sunglasses have been donated, and it's very amusing to see which pair the patient with pick. Many patients often get input from others waiting in line, or laugh when I offer them a pair that they think is particularly silly or unusual.




Working with the vision clinic has been extremely fun and very rewarding. It's given me an amazing opportunity to work individually with patients and to improve my Spanish. While sometimes I feel that our assistance is limited to multivitamins and ibuprofen, helping an individual see provides a very immediate sense of relief and satisfaction. I am very thankful to all who donated and collected all the glasses and sunglasses - they have been very gratefully received!


Julia Liebner
MS2, Case Western Reserve University



No comments:

Post a Comment