Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sacred Valley - Day 20


June 25, 2012

Hola! Welcome to the final week of this PHOP adventure. I am the resident pharmacist, not really…but I have been working with the ‘farmacia’ for the past week and will be heading up the efforts there this week as well. Truth be told, I am an Emergency Department nurse at University Hospitals in Cleveland and when I applied to come to Peru for this project, I never thought it would lead me to running the pharmacy! Even after receiving the endearing email request about how I would be a ‘perfect fit’ and other flatteries, I still found myself thinking, “Pharmacy, really?!” But with an open mind and a desire to be an integral team member, I took the compliments in stride, inflated my ego and accepted the challenge. J


While I want to update everyone on the pharmacy contributions, I first would like to comment on a few generalities about the trip overall. The last week and thus far the beginning of this week has been an absolutely humbling and enjoyable journey. What I found from the moment I arrived can be summed up in one very simple, yet meaningful word: camaraderie. I am certain I could list a multitude of other adjectives, but this experience truly transcends words. It is one of those, “You just had to be here” kind of encounters. I have had the pleasure of getting to know some phenomenal human beings who will one day soon become even better doctors. We have been up and down mountains together, dodged bulls, discovered lost villages, and braved the public bus system…all for the sake of providing health care to our patients. Gratitude surrounds us, whether from the patients or from our teammates. Every cog in the wheel has its function and not one more significant than the other. We took an “All for one and one for all” mentality and that is what made all the difference on this trip thus far. I believe this allowed everyone, myself included, to traverse the days with comfort in knowing that someone always had your back and was close by to help, whether it be to translate, to barter at the Mercado, or to encourage you as you climbed up the 10,000th step towards the peak of a mountain.


Sarah and her team hard at work

As for the pharmacy, we have been a very busy team these past few weeks. Many thanks to those who came in the first 2 weeks for establishing an organized system. While we discussed this in meetings, I was not certain how things would actually play out. Nevertheless, the transition into week 3 and now week 4 has been fairly smooth. Every day we travel with 2 very large suitcases and 1 duffle bag full of medications to provide for our patients on that day. While we cannot possibly have every medication, I feel as though we have been able to find something for everyone’s ailments thus far. It may require more “out of the box thinking” on the part of our medical teams, but they are doing it, both efficiently and well.

We have been able to provide albendazole, an anti-parasitic, to a multitude of children and even some adults. Dry and burnt skin is a big problem down here, and we have been handing out eucerin cream to help with moisture and some SPF sun block as well. We are also seeing a great deal of musculo-skeletal injuries, along with stomach illnesses (viral, GERD, parasites) and urinary tract infections. Antibiotics, acetaminophen and ibuprofen have been widely given. It’s unbelievably enlightening to see the appreciation on our Peruvian patients’ faces when we hand them a toothbrush, eucerin lotion, and 20 ibuprofen…not something that would likely be as well received in the states, yet means a world of difference to these people. Having physical therapy, glasses and dental/hand washing education as alternate treatment options have been wonderful tools as well. If next year’s team is half as prepared as we were, all will be well.


Monday's clinic lines

As I wrap this up, I will admit only once that my experience is the pharmacy has been much better than I anticipated. J It was busy, like an ER. I had a great viewpoint of all the other stations, even was able to step away to take pictures. I was the last check and got to see everyone else’s work before me. And best of all, I was allowed to hone in on some of my more ‘type A’ personality traits, like organizing and directing. A win/win for all! Every trip I have taken such as this one has been a life changing experience and this one is no less moving. Thank you for the opportunity and if you are reading this blog and have never been on a journey such as this one, you’re missing out! See you next year!

Sarah O. Strong, RN
University Hospitals, Cleveland OH

No comments:

Post a Comment