Friday, June 28, 2013


When looking for a place to begin about this small town that we visited called “Ccamahuara”, I instinctively look to Google to get a background about the village. As I’m writing this, there are only a few hundred results on Google that briefly mention the town. Ccamahuara is a tiny village located about three hours away from the town of Urubamba where we were based. Because of the remote location of the town, the inhabitants spoke primarily Quechua (known as Runa Simi to the people who speak the language).
This was one of the first days that we interacted primarily with the Quechua people of the Andes in Clinic, and so, we relied very heavily on our translators. Roughly 95% of the population of the town spoke Runa Simi with only five percent having an understanding of both Spanish and Runa Simi. Because of this, we were left at a standstill for the beginning of the visit. Then, a very kind woman named Susana arrived. She had come with her mother and child, who came with similar symptoms, and desired treatment. Were it not for Susana, I feel that we would still be in those mountains. With an understanding of both Spanish and Runa Simi, she helped us see patient after patient after patient. She selflessly stayed there the entire duration of our visit solely to help us.
I learned so much about her. Originally, from Cusco, she came back to the town and had been living with her parents to take care of them. She taught me about languages of the Andes, the customs of the people around the area, and her life, hopes, and dreams. It was an absolutely wonderful experience and probably one of the best experiences I had in Perú. Despite being very busy the entire day, we laughed so much! Before she left, I asked her to say goodbye. She found me before the group left; we hugged, took a photo together, and I thanked her for all of her work. She was, after translating all day, practically a physician, I told her. Before she left, she showed me the little white house where she was living and told me to come back and visit. I hope that one day I’ll be able to return to Ccamahuara to see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment